Thursday, September 16, 2010

Going Out - Tonight!

So a few days ago I said I am going to go out Friday night (tonight) and asked you all what I should do. If you missed that you can read it here.

One of the bar areas where I am going
First off, thanks for all the responses! They were pretty varied responses from go to a bar / pub / coffee house / library (Friday night at the library, party animal!) to don't go out alone, find someone to go out with (unfortunately that has not happened... yet anyway) to just go out because everyone will be drunk and you will never see them again anyways, to just stay home and be awesome by yourself.

The major consensus mostly seems to be to stay away from clubs and try a bar or pub. Well the best idea I can come up with from this info is to go to a place that is near by that is actually a pub downstairs and a club upstairs. It's free entry to the pub area then you have to pay to get upstairs to the club. I can just stay down in the pub and the best part about this is that drunk people from upstairs are always coming down and vice versa so there is a real mix of people. The down side to this place is, last time I went upstairs to the club area I got asked if I was gay... twice. I'm not going to lie, even though I am straight I was a little flattered but to this day I don't know why those guys got that impression of me. I wasn't even wearing my pink shirt.

Unfortunately I will not be getting drunk because I am going to be driving there since the public transport in my area is fucking terrible / non existent. But the up side to driving is that I can offer a lift to the sexy ladies (and then watch them turn me down because by then I will have a bad case of rape face).

Anyways that’s the plan, I will post the results... maybe not tomorrow because I am actually going to a local monthly LAN event and will be busy gaming / leaching all day... but soon, maybe on Sunday.

TLDR; Going out sexing the ladies, will post results.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Financial Situation

I was reading a blog post by the sexy Katie Collins (Check out her blog here, and follow her because she's sexy and stuff) about the evils of credit cards and banks. It made me think of my current financial situation, which is something I don't really like to think about at all, and is kind of fucked. Then I read a reply to one of my posts from the sexy The Loon (Check out his blog here, may or may not be as sexy as Katie but you should still follow him anyway) "Wow, I'm not sure if your blog was supposed to have the concept of us deciding your life, but it's a fucking great idea."
A fucking great idea indeed!

Australian money is colourfull!
So here is the situation. As some of you may or may not already know, I am 24 and still live with my parents. Now I have never had a credit card, never been in dept, and generally spend very little money due to living at home, having no friends, and rarely going out. Because of this I have saved what I would consider (for me, personally) a lot of money, something like $45,000... most of which is now gone as you will see. Now my parents let me live at home with no rent but they are in quite a bit of debt. To help them out with this they have borrowed most of my money from me, over a fair bit of time, which I happily let them have.

How this happened was, originally they borrowed $30,000 and promised to start paying it back as soon as they were on top of the bills again. But instead of slowly paying me back, I have been slowly giving them more and more money to a grand total now of $42,000. The more money I save, the more I give to them.

Now just a few days ago my mum mentioned selling their house so they could pay me back, and I was shocked. I had never realised how far it had gone and how hard it will be for them to ever pay me back. I absolutely do not want them to have to sell their house for me. But at the same time, I want to buy a house of my own. I don't want to be still living with my parents in my late 20's. But the problem is, I need my money to buy a house, my parents need to sell their house to give me my money, I absolutely do not want my parents to sell their house that they have spent their entire lives working towards just for me.

So what is your opinion on this? What do you think I should do? I don't want my parents to sell their house but I don't want to get stuck living at home forever.

TLDR; parents stoled my moneys! wut do?

Quick Shout Out to sildude

A quick shout out / thanks to sildude for making this awesome picture at my request:

this whale is rowing a boat across the ocean - your argument is invalid

Check out his blog by clicking here to see other awesome digital art by him and also the intermediate steps to creating this finished picture. Also he has 200+ followers so he is obviously way cooler / more popular than me, so if you like me you will like him even more!

TLDR; sildude is a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Going Out - Attempt 2

Well after my fail attempt at going out and pretending to be social last weekend, I have decided to make another attempt this Friday night.
When I was going through my millions (number may have been exaggerated) of comments on various post displaying how and why I fail at life, I decided I will pander to your requests/comments. One in particular is this one from Randomly Reticulated: 'Damn no girl in 5 years? Holy shit dude. Goto a bar or something, fuck.' (I particularly like the extra 'fuck' added at the end)

But this tip brings with it some problems, one in particular mentioned by JP: 'a tip, don’t go to a club alone, that will just make you look awkward to other people! try meeting people that go out and then go out with them! the bigger the group the better! (like 5-8)' To which I replied in the comments: How do you meet people for going out without going out to meet people?
Seriously, I have no one to go out with in the first place. :(
(Take note of the sad face at the end there, I'm so sad... in the pants)

So now I turn to you, my millions of dedicated fanatical followers, what should I do this Friday night? Should I go out to a club? The problem there is that I have real problems communicating with people at clubs because I can never understand a word they are saying because the music is so loud. I have noticed other people somehow have developed some kind of supernatural way off reading other peoples body language to determine if they are interested or not when at clubs... unfortunately I never quite learned that.

I could go to a bar, but I'm not sure if you have ever been to a bar by yourself... it is fucking awkward. Whenever you go to a bar by yourself, it is very clear that you are the ONLY person there that is by themselves. Everyone is there in groups, somehow you have to approach a group to socialise.
There are groups of guys, who when you approach leaves you with a 80% chance of them staring at you like an idiot and then telling you to fuck off, and a 19% chance of getting punched in the face, and 1% chance of someone actually including you in some form of conversation.
There are groups of mixed guys and girls, which leaves you with a 50% change of face punching because one of the guys thinks you are hitting on their girlfriend, 49% chance of the girls laughing at your face because you look like a try hard desperate loner, and 1% chance of someone taking pity on you and including you in a conversation.
And lastly there are groups of girls which (if you are male, and alone) gives you a 50% chance of 'not interested' and 50% chance of 'fuck off' (unless you go straight for the fattest, most ugly girl there... and even then, the chances are one of her drunk friends will 'cock block' you)

The environment I have found I have performed best with being able to semi fit-in and pretend to be social is at parties. But the problem there is... I have no friends. I can't get invited to a party if there is no one to invite me. The last time I went to a party it was years ago with people I met on the internet.

So I ask you... what should I do Friday night? Whatever happens I will post the results which will either be me saying how I succeeded at being social, or most likely me saying how, once again, I fail at life.

TLDR; going out Friday, wut do?

Monday, September 13, 2010

Shows - The Shield

One of those things I do a lot is watch many TV shows, usually on my PC... that I may or may not have downloaded from the internets. And the one I want to mention today is one that actually finished a few years ago called The Shield.

I have to admit that I am not really a fan of cop shows on TV, but The Shield is the exception to the rule for me. In my personal opinion, it is the best cop show I have ever seen. Now being in the mindset I was in when The Shield was in it's early years I thought 'oh great, another crappy cop show to add to the ever growing list of a million other crappy cop shows' and did not give it much thought, so it was not until years later that I was re-introduced to the show by a friend.

The thing you have to take into account with The Shield is that, unlike most other cop shows, you can not just watch random episodes here and there because, unlike other cop shows, there is one EPIC ongoing storyline that runs through the entire 7 seasons of the show, not separate stories for each episode. If you just want to check out an episode to see what the show is like make sure you watch the pilot episode (Season 1 Episode 1) and if it does not blow your mind in that very first episode then don't bother with the rest of the show. (Blew my mind when I watched it, did not expect what happened at all)

Things that make The Shield awesome:

Detective Vic Mackey, the most bad ass cop you will find on film. He makes Dirty Harry look like Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Although he is the main character there are many times through the show when you don't know if you love him or hate him, or if he is the good guy or the bad guy. Most people would say he is both (but mostly bad). You love to hate him and hate to love him. You will call him pathetic yet praise him like a hero. You will want him dead yet feel sorry and sympathise with him. On Bravo TV's countdown of the 100 Greatest Television Characters, Michael Chiklis described Mackey as "a cross between Hannibal Lecter and Dirty Harry." Also he probably has the biggest Wikipedia page dedicated to a single character from a single TV show I have seen.

Epic story. And when I say epic, I mean a non stop, action packed, edge of you seat, continuous story that spans the entire 7 years of the show. None of that 'chasing a different bad guy every show' bullshit, or even every season. If you can not watch every single episode, do not bother watching it at all because every episode is vital to the story.

Guest stars are another thing that The Shield does completely different to other shows. When you see a guest star appear on a show you usually expect them for a single episode, maybe two if they have a good character. When a guest star appears on The Shield, they stick around for an entire fucking season! Or even 2 seasons if they are awesome enough. And I'm not talking about crappy celebrities trying to break into acting as guest stars, I'm talking awesome actors like Glenn Close, Forest Whitaker, and Anthony Anderson.

The Shield has won Emmys, Golden Globes, AFI awards, Satellite Awards, and has been nominated for Screen Actors Guild Awards and Ewwy Awards.

The show finished back in 2008 and when it did it left a massive hole in my show watching activities that needed to be filled. And after looking around I found out that many of the production team from The Shield had moved onto another show called Sons of Anarchy. I'm not going to go far into SoA right now but it is another fantastic show and just started its 3rd season.

TLDR; The Shield is fucking awesome and you should watch it.

Also check out this video of 'Solving Crimes the Vic Mackey Way':

Sunday, September 12, 2010

I Fail at Woman

So today I was once again reminded how forgettable I am and how much I fail at life. And once again it is to do with a girl... or lack of girl.

(I even gave her one of these premium mice)

I got a call from one of the employees saying that their mouse had gone faulty and they needed a replacement. She sounded familiar so I looked her up and saw that she was actually a girl I knew. She was actually the last girl I almost dated. I knew her sister and she introduced us and we hung out a couple of times and kind of hit it off but it never went any further than that.

That was something like 5 years ago and I have not had a girlfriend between then and now.

Anyway I remembered her and for some reason was sure she would remember me if she saw me, so I told her to drop by my desk with the faulty mouse and I will give her a new one (I even gave her one of the premium mice... it has more buttons and everything!).

So she comes past and I can immediately tell she has no idea who I am. So, being the idiot I am, I start with the "Hey, you look familiar" crap... she does not buy it and I can tell she is thinking I'm some douche trying to hit on her. She gives me the "Oh, you've probably just seen me around before or something" and tries to escape, but no! I can not let her get away now... not until she remembers me. Now I am determined to get her to remember me.
As she turns to run away from me I say "Hey wait a sec... what's your surname?" I immediately think 'why the fuck would she give me her surname, now she thinks I want to e-stalk her or something.' But by now she is a deer in the headlights and does not know what to do, so she tells me her surname and I say "Isn't your sister (insert sisters name here)?"
"... Um... Yes..."
"Oh yeah... I used to hang out with her... back in the day..."
And after a shitload of awkward silence and looking around at nothing she turns around and walks away, and I am left standing there, once again thinking about how much I fail at women.

Oh, and she clearly did not remember me after all that.

Work Placement Kid

So for this week at work there is a work placement kid with us. He looks so young and innocent and awkward... I want to pull some pranks on him!

Basicaly this is just a shout out to anyone who can come up with same funny pranks to pull on this kid (non life threatening pranks). If you have any cool ideas please post them in the comments and I will try to do them and post the results. I work in the IT department of a local government but the pranks don't have to be limited to computer realted stuff. He is here for the next 5 days so there is a bit of time to come up with some ideas. If I come up with any of my own I will post them in the comments too.